Monday, December 3, 2007

Why I Write

It may be fitting that, as a writer, I begin this blog in writer's block.

My sister Barbara has come to the rescue with the following passage from author/naturalist Terry Tempest Williams on why she writes:

I write to make peace with the things I cannot control.
I write to create fabric in a world that often appears black and white.
I write to discover.
I write to uncover.
I write to meet my ghosts.
I write to begin a dialogue.
I write to imagine things differently and, in imagining things differently, perhaps the world will change.
I write to honor beauty.
I write to correspond with my friends.
I write as a daily act of improvisation.
I write because it creates my composure.
I write myself out of my nightmares and into my dreams.
I write to the questions that shatter my sleep.

I write to remember.
I write to forget.
I write to quell the pain.
I write as an act of faith.
I write as an act of slowness.
I write to record what I love in the face of loss.
I write as a bow to wilderness.
I write becauseI believe I can create a path in the darkness.
I write because I am not employable.
I write as a witness to what I have seen.
I write for the love of ideas.
I write knowing words will always fall short.
I write as thoiughI am whispering in the ear of the one I love.

Wonderful.

In the words of the older woman deli customer in When Harry Met Sally, after Sallys faked orgasm, " I'll have what she's having."

And so I begin.

I will endeavor to speak with you tomorrow and daily thereafter on subjects that float through the open window of the Tillery garage in Knotts Island, North Carolina.

Thank you for joining me.

Jack

4 comments:

Alexander London said...

Perhaps you will write to enlighten...A garage in the rushing wind seems like a wonderful place from which to write, as I know the wind can quiet the most dark of thoughts, the most painful of memory.
Good for you, Jack. Good for you.

Sylvia Elmer said...

Your writing is so eloquent that I am eager to read more, particularly on a daily basis. How lucky for all of us! Good luck, Dad!

SAM said...

My favorite line is "I write because I am not employable." I love a direct shot of truth without needing to make everything too sentimental. Can't wait to wake up and read tomorrow's thoughts!

Barbara said...

here's a way to get off that writer's block!
take one line a day from TTW and write about it for 10 minutes. That's my plan. I taped the quote in my journal and will write to one line when I'm at a loss on what to write about.
love,
barb